Followers - Please follow us!

15/02/2022

Bigging up the Baddie (the antagonist) - Insights for the Writer's Support Group meeting of 14th February 2022

To bring the worst out in the 'baddie' of your novel you must first build a relationship between your protagonist and your reader - make your reader like (love even) the character.

Then - start thinking about the bad guy, set up some stakes, create a conflict and then let your antagonist hurt the 'good' guy.

Here's something I wrote in the ten minutes we had to satisfy the brief - remember it was written in ten minutes so it needs refinement but I hope it gives you the idea.

'It must be difficult for him,' said Mrs Pickle loudly enough for me to hear and I knew what she meant... but it wasn't, difficult I mean. Barri was my brother and it wasn't his fault that he couldn't walk, or talk... and he dribbled a bit. 
 
That's where Jonti got his attitude from - his mother, gossip of the neighbourhood and opinionated at best.

I wheeled Barri to the day centre before school each weekday which made me late some days. The teacher understood, but not Jonti.

'How's the retard?' he'd say, trying to goad me.

Today was different. Jonti followed with his two sidekicks, never far from his side, as I pushed Barri in his chair.

'What's he moaning about?'

Barri made a noise, not exactly talking but I could interpret it. I walked on, pretending I was alone, ignoring the heckling from behind.

'I was talking to you,' Jonti spat.

I quickened my pace as the three lads closed the gap to shove the wheelchair which veered out of my hands towards the road. I stopped it causing it to swerve and Barri tumbled out, catching his head on a bollard, blood dripping down his cheek from a surface wound.

I turned, my face red with anger as I yelled, 'What is wrong with you?'

They turned and dashed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.